PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Police are investigating a dangerous situation after more than 100 gasoline-filled plastic milk jugs were found inside an abandoned house in West Philadelphia. First responders were sent to an abandoned house on Block 100 North 59th Street for reports of a strong gas smell around 8:30 pm Monday.
Police say first responders found about 154 one-gallon jugs of gasoline upon arrival. You can imagine how strong the smell came from that house, which is what informed the police of this potentially dangerous situation.
READ MORE: The Philadelphia region begins August with the possibility of a fourth heat wave as temperatures will soar until reaching the 1990s
The first responders entered precisely because the house appeared to be partially burned by a fire and completely empty.
They say plastic milk jugs filled with gasoline were found on the living room floor and on the steps.
“Very, very bizarre, 154 gallons and plastic milk containers. Clearly dangerous, clearly dangerous material accident in this mostly residential neighborhood, “Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
READ MORE: 4 Injured after an accident involving a Towamencin municipality police car
The houses adjacent to the block have been evacuated.
Hazmat personnel were on site, working with firefighters and the licensing and inspection department to safely remove hazardous gasoline from the home.
Police say a 37-year-old man who owns the house or visits it has often been questioned by investigators. He is considered a person of interest.
No injuries were reported.
MORE NEWS: A fire breaks out in the West Philly house where more than 150 jugs of gas milk were found
Stay with CBSPhilly.com for updates on this developing story.