SYDNEY: Major ports handling 40 percent of Australia’s freight trade have reopened, operator DP World said Monday, three days after they were crippled by a cyberattack.
DP World cut its systems from the internet when the attack was detected Friday, preventing trucks from unloading or picking up cargo at ports in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Fremantle.
“DP World Australia is pleased to announce that operations resumed at the company’s ports across Australia,” the operator said in a statement.
The firm said it had successfully tested key systems overnight before reopening.
It said it expected to move 5,000 containers out of the four terminals during the day not far from industry estimates of their usual daily traffic.
Investigations and efforts to protect systems may still cause “some necessary, temporary disruptions” to port services in the coming days, the company said.
DP World said its investigation and remediation work were likely to take “some time.”
Shipping bodies said operations at the ports had restarted slowly early in the morning, with priority given to getting imported containers out of the terminals.
DP World’s advisor on its response to the cyberattack, Alastair MacGibbon, earlier said there had been “unauthorized activity in the system.”
Data had been taken by “someone malicious or unauthorized,” he told Nine Network television, without giving details of the nature of the stolen information.
DP World Australia said it was still working with the Australian government and cyber authorities.
Australia’s national cybersecurity coordinator, Darren Goldie, said DP World did the right thing by cutting off its internet access to prevent the attack from spreading. AFP